Pickled Carrots

When I came across this recipe I knew I'd love these pickles...and it was the perfect excuse to buy a julienne peeler...I've left out the spices in my recipe but you can add fennel seeds, dill seeds, anise seeds, ginger, bay leaves, whatever you like really...I've used white wine vinegar but you can use whatever vinegar you have on hand.



INGREDIENTS

3 or 4 carrots in julienne strips

100ml white wine vinegar

100ml water

50gms sugar

1 teaspoon salt

METHOD

1. Tightly pack a sterilised glass jar with the carrot strips.

2. Put the vinegar, water, sugar and salt into a small pot and bring to boil.

3. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and leave to steep for a few minutes.

4. Pour the vinegar mixture over the carrots making sure all the carrots are covered. If the liquid doesn't quite cover the carrots you can press the carrots down with the back of a spoon.

5. Refrigerate overnight...or if you are like me and have run out of pickles and just can't wait...then refrigerate till they have cooled down and they're ready!

1 comment:

  1. I had some pickled carrots recently at a restaurant and was wondering how to make them. So now I know! Thanks for sharing - will put them on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete